Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pictures and Haircuts

This is spray painted on the school gym. Spanish people LOVE the Simpsons, let me tell you. It's on television non-stop (Spanish Homer is the only voice that sounds remotely similar - they chose a voice actor that has the same whimsical Homer excitement in his voice. Next time you watch the Simpsons I think you'll know what I mean). We were talking about inventions in one of my classes and my teacher goes "So you remember that episode where Homer is an inventor?" and the look on the kid's faces showed that they grew up with it pretty much as much as we did. They were all instantly laughing and helping her explain the scene, it was great and surprising. There are Duff shirts and sweatshirts around every corner of Segovia/Cuellar. The Simpsons are a staple here!

 There are many Anarchy symbols spray painted throughout Cuellar but I thought this one looked the coolest. 

These next two are side by side on this random, crumby building that I walk by on my way to the supermarket. I'm not sure what medium they used to create them (I really doubt it is spray paint), but they're totally cool.


 Although this is not what I would call a "traditional" piece of art, I would maybe lump it into the Art category for the sheer absurdity of it. This is in the Chinese Store. That is a television that shows all of the security cameras in the entire store, but I swear you have to get a magnifying glass out to figure out what the hell is going on. The Chinese Store is what I would say is as close to a thrift store as one is going to find in Spain. Firstly, I've been told there are absolutely no secondhand/thrift stores in Spain, so thats sad, but secondly the Chinese Store is full of junk. PILES OF RANDOMNESS. It is definitely the Chamber of Secrets/Room of Requirement in this place (HP references for those that are lost on that sentence). They have so many ridiculous things, you could spend hours walking around like "Wtf is that doing here?" or "Of course I need a plastic waterfall that creates mist!". There is an amazing amount of American Kitsch found in the Chinese Store in Spain, lemme tell ya. I'll leave it at that sentence until my next full exploration of the place.

 This is a wall that my friend Erin pointed out to me while we were on our way to an art museum in Madrid. Notice the tiny woman on the bottom left for size comparisons. This wall is probably close to three stories high and covered in mosses and grasses and all sorts of really cool looking plants that just hang there. I was shocked when I turned a corner and this thing was there.

 HAHA What in the world! It's a ball that kids get into and then struggle to stand in while they float around this little pool. It is located in the middle of this mall-like shopping center that I go to get groceries. Amazing, yes I know.

Small essay on Haircuts


Spain will teach you a thing or two about haircuts. I thought it was universally agreed upon by the time the 21st century began that the mullet was never again allowed to walk the face of this planet but I promise you I see one - and cringe - everyday. I'll be walking through the bus station after school minding my own business and BAM MULLET! Sometimes I find myself looking so long in shock and disbelief that I have not yet turned my head forward in time to see what/who I am walking into. We've also got a lot of Jedi Knights in training (known as Padawans to the uninformed) via that beauty on the right. Let me clarify by saying that I'm not one to really care about fashion and I have definitely been guilty of a bad haircut in my day but these are slightly criminal and I thought it'd be funny to write about. The end.

Cuellar smelled like old people today. Interpret that as you please.

4 comments:

  1. lololol I totally remember that episode! Doesn't he invent the chair that has extra legs so it's impossible to fall backwards? And an automatic hammer, but all the credit is given to Thomas Edison or something.

    haha you should ride in that ball thing and pretend you are Wayne Coyne.

    That one street art looks like Frankenstein, best part is the extra eye. Actually I just watched Exit Through The Gift Shop today so street art is fresh on my mind.

    Dude fashion mullets have been back for a bit though btw...

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fashion mullet will never be accepted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having a good time. Thanks for the posts. i look forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. Keep them coming! PS, what's the big cyclindrical white thing in your kitchen, on the wall?

    ReplyDelete